23 December 2022

Jordan Nassar tatreez embroidery


Tatreez design by Jordan Nassar, stitched by me.


From an article in Selvedge magazine, I learned about the work of Palestinian-American Jordan Nassar, who works in a contemporary form of traditional Palestinian embroidery called tatreez. For the London cultural center The Mosaic Rooms he created a down-loadable tatreez pattern.  One of the colorways suggested was magenta and orange on black canvas. I liked this very much, so decided to stitch it using DMC pearl cotton number 8 in colors 600 (magenta) and 741 (orange-y yellow) on a piece of 15" x 18"  14-count Aida cloth. 
 
Pattern.
 
I printed out the material from The Mosaic Rooms and added center guidelines, in red pen, to the pattern. 

In progress.

I basted center line guidelines first and popped the canvas into a Q-snap embroidery frame, seen above, and started stitching from the center outwards, counting extremely carefully.

Outer border completed.


Close-up of stitching.


The back, in progress.


I found it useful to sometimes tack down thread using drafting tape, a low-tack, low-residue tape. This allowed me to change or amend my stitching before tying off.
 

Finished - back view.

 
The finished embroidery was expertly mounted by textile conservators ConText Inc.  Before framing I will add an indelible label to the back of the mounting stating the designer's name.  Credit where credit is due.