20 March 2023

Patio pattern baby quilt

Next step - binding.

A new baby will arrive soon, so of course I made a quilt. Not for use in the crib until baby can safely roll over, but useful as a clean surface for "tummy time," a layer in the stroller, etc.

The pattern is one of my favorites, Patio, designed by Happy Zombie

Reminds me of the graphics of Alexander Girard.

I used fabric from my extensive stash and only had to buy the backing fabric. Many of the fabrics are vintage prints (pre-1960 or so) - we can date these fabrics as they are 36" wide, not the current standard of 45."  Most of the prints are "conversational" - this is the textile world's term for fabrics with figurative images.  One of my favorites is a variation on Little Red Riding Hood (above.)

Attenuated people.


Ships in a bottle.

 
A fun music-themed fabric.
 
Mid-century modern colors.

Save those shards of china.

The fabric below was produced by Rose and Hubble and is based on mosaics by Kaffe Fassett.  It's a useful print because of all the colors; I employed it as the binding for this quilt.
 
Based on a mosaic installation for the Chelsea Flower Show.

 The backing is a cute owl fabric by Robert Kaufman designer Ann Kelle.  Machine quilted for durability - just an edge-to-edge pattern called Meander, expertly done by Burlington Electric Quilters.

Who-whoo!