14 May 2018

Gladi Porsche Quilts at the New England Quilt Museum


Whig Rose, 2006.

Award-winning New Hampshire quilter Gladi Porsche's artwork was exhibited at the New England Quilt Museum from January 10, 2018 - April 29, 2018, in the classroom space. Here is her artist's statement; I think many quilters and other fiber artists will find it has elements of many a textile artist's biography:
I fell in love with sewing when I made a skirt in my 7th grade Home Economics class and over the next 10 years I made most of my own clothes and learned to knit and embroider.  Then all needlework ceased as I went to medical school, married, had children, and established my career in college health, specializing in the care of adolescents and young adults.  Then I discovered quilting in 1993 and, after making my first quilt,  I was hooked!

My quilts are mostly traditional in style, but I try to create my own designs as much as possible, often using traditional quilt blocks, color, and nature as inspiration.  I enjoy the tactile pleasures of playing with fabrics and constructing quilts and the creative challenges and visual pleasures of using color and pattern to create designs.  I love the relaxing and meditative aspects of hand work and most of my quilts are hand quilted and appliqued, many with hand embroidered embellishments.

I strive to make quilts that are beautiful and interesting so that viewers want to linger and take in not just the overall design, but the fabrics and stitching details, too.  I strive for excellence in craftsmanship.

My quilts are functional; all beds and most walls in my home have quilt on them.  Those on the walls lend a special feeling of warmth to their spaces and those on the beds provide real warmth!  Some of those quilts on our beds are award winners but I believe in using them and enjoying them.
Here, in no particular order, are some of the quilts which spoke to me in particular. I find Dr. Porsche has a gift for borders and corners, so I have included close-ups of these.

Stella Nova, 2016.

Stella Nova, corner detail.

Keeping Autumn With Me, 2003.

Keeping Autumn With Me, corner detail.

Feathering My Nest (The Right Way), 2012.

Feathering My Nest, corner detail.

Grandmother's Fantasy, 2005.

Grandmother's Fantasy, corner detail.

One traditional pattern which I like but seems rarely used is the block Palm Leaf and Dr. Porsche features it in two quilts.  Due to the layout of the room I was unable to take a picture of the entire quilt below, but you get the idea.

Spring Sonata, partial, 2017.

Spring Sonata, border detail.

Joyful Noise, 2016.

Several of the artworks were inspired by Japanese design and indigo fabrics.

Spirit of Japan #3: Kuruma (the Wheel), 2017

Spirit of Japan #3, detail.

As it takes as long as 3 years for Gladi to make one of her full-size quilts, she began making doll size quilts some years ago, as way to try out ideas and to have the satisfaction of more immediate gratification. Some of these doll quilts are in the case below; I wish they had been on full display but understand the limitations of the exhibit space.

Doll quilts, 2012 - 2017.

Imperfect Beauty, 2013.

One of my favorite quilts in the exhibit is above; in this quilt the solids and near-solid fabrics really allow the applique, embroidery and hand-quilting to shine.

Imperfect Beauty, detail.