15 August 2021

Raining rainbows embroidery

Raining Rainbows design, simplified.

Time for some easy stitching. I found this free, downloadable embroidery pattern at:

I simplified the design a bit and followed the artist's suggestion to use a product called Sticky Fabri-Solvy to transfer my modified pattern to my fabric.

Simplified design on trace paper.

 
Using the single sheet feed on my photocopier, I fed in one sheet of the Fabri-Solvy and photocopied my trace paper design. Then I followed the directions on the Fabri-Solvy package - peeled off the backing sheet and stuck the design right down on my blue Essex cloth.  Essex cloth is a linen-cotton blend with a fairly open weave, so it's good for embroidery.  The layer of Fabric-Solvy did make my embroidery needle stick a bit but, for a simple running stitch, sewing through the adhesive sheet and fabric substrate was fine.
 
Light blue Essex cloth and pack of Fabri-Solvy sheets.


Fabri-Solvy, with design, adhered to cloth and in hoop.

I initially stitched the cloud outline in white, but decided that would be too low contrast with the blue fabric, so I removed that stitching and resewed with black. Much better. All the stitching done with two plies of DMC embroidery floss, by the way.

Hard to see white thread on light blue.


Cloud restitched with black, red rays stitched.


Continuous stitching started at the eyes, then the mouth and finally the outline.

All the rays stitched, but yellow and green colors too wimpy.

I also swapped my original yellow and green threads for richer colors. Once the stitching was complete, I trimmed the excess Fabri-Solvy from the design, following the package instructions.

New green and yellow colors, now finished.


Trimmed and ready to dunk in water.

Fabri-Solvy flaking off in water.
 
When immersed in warm water (no soap) the adhesive does flake off and dissolve, and I detected no tackiness after the project air-dried. Don't know if I'd use the Fabri-Solvy for something intended as an heirloom, but certainly a convenient way to transfer patterns.  Not sure yet what I will do with my Rainbows - but may simply frame it in a hoop, for display. Stay tuned.