19 September 2022

Queen Elizabeth II: Tributes in textiles

Tammis Keefe handkerchief, 1950's.

Like many folks around the world, I respected and admired Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) and awoke a bit early to watch her funeral this morning.  There were tears.


The lifecycle event at the beginning of her reign, her coronation, was also televised, and celebrated with pomp, ceremony, and souvenirs.  Commemorative textiles were very popular, including scarves and handkerchiefs. Although I haven't been able yet to find documentation, I believe these two handkerchiefs, from my collection, were produced as souvenirs of the coronation of the young queen. The central image of the hankie above certainly resembles the Gold State Coach and the crowns in the corners evoke the silhouette of St. Edward's Crown, worn during the coronation.

Below, a silk pocket square again depicts the crown and the golden coach, in addition to London Bridge, yeoman of the guard, and The Tower.

Tammis Keefe, silk pocket handkerchief, 1950's.




I'll miss the Queen's colorful outfits and matching hats - designer Angela Kelly did wonderful work.  The Queen's self-presentation and style did much to make every event special.

The person who most closely approximately the Queen's role here in America might have been Mrs. Brook Astor, who once said:
If I go up to Harlem or down to Sixth Street, and I'm not dressed up or I'm not wearing my jewelry, then the people feel I'm talking down to them. People expect to see Mrs. Astor, not some dowdy old lady, and I don't intend to disappoint.

The Queen never disappointed us.