15 April 2016

Knitty City - getting worsted in New York

A cuddly menagerie of knitted toys.

First, I apologize for the horrible pun in this post's title. Forgive me.

Although I am loyal to my local yarn store, Puttin' on the Knitz, in the interest of research I investigate the local fiber offerings when I travel too.  During a recent trip to Manhattan, I discovered yarn emporium Knitty City, on the Upper West Side at 208 West 79th Street, between Broadway and Amsterdam. Thoughtfully, proprietor Pearl Chin offers extended retail hours, until 8 pm, on both Wednesday and Thursday evenings.

Look for the orange banner.

We happened by on Wednesday evening, when a men's group meets. Real men do knit.  The store is compact, but features a good selection of yarn weights and fibers - wool, but also cotton, linen, silk, alpaca and even bamboo.

Wall of yarn - tactile delight!

Long, narrow space packed with goodies and nice people.

Comfy corner for browsing books and patterns.

The store was quite busy - it's obviously a community hub - but I never felt jostled or rushed as I engaged in what is for me the most difficult part of knitting:  selecting yarn.  This store has a swift, or ball winder, which converts skeins into balls of yarn, sparing my husband the chore of sitting on the couch  windmillling his arms around while trying to keep an unruly mass of yarn from tangling. Wish every yarn shop would provide this service.  In addition to yarn, this well-stocked shop offers patterns, notions, and a great selection of buttons for those cardigans. 

Guys' knitting group.

Winding my yarn purchase.

Selection of drawstring bags with words to live by.